Saturday, April 28, 2012

And Just Like That...the Playoffs

I think its pretty obvious that I've neglected this season, to say the least. Uncaptivating matchups, an uneasy amount of nightly games, and injuries I don't even want to begin to think of. When I first heard this season was in danger of being cancelled, I couldn't imagine anything worse. But looking back, and I say this with a decent amount of hesitation, I believe that a lockout may not have been so bad.

Of course, this year wasn't horrible for everyone. Lebron James seemed to adapt just fine, averaging around 27 points and 8 rebounds per game, bringing the Miami Heat to a 46-20 record, alongside Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. John Lucas III finally stepped up for the Chicago Bulls in the way a handful of people knew he could, filling in for Derrick Rose who played in just 39 games. Monta Ellis began a whole new chapter in his basketball life, traded from the Golden State Warriors to the Milwaukee Bucks. And Shaquille O'Neal became a member of the highly entertaining TNT crew. But yet, we're at the Playoffs, and it seems as though the 2011-2012 season is just starting.

With round one, game one just around the corner for the top eight Eastern conference seeds, things look like this:
Chicago Bulls vs. Philadelphia 76ers
Miami Heat vs. New York Knicks
Indiana Pacers vs. Orlando Magic
Boston Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks

And for the West:
San Antonio Spurs vs. Utah Jazz
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Dallas Mavericks
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Denver Nuggets
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Clippers

What I see going down? Although they've put up quite a fight this season, with Evan Turner putting in work towards averaging almost 10 points and 6 rebounds per game, and coach Doug Collins trying to revamp the team's image, the 76ers won't get past the league leader Bulls. Despite injury plagued players like Derrick Rose and Luol Deng, I have the Bulls in 5.

Moving on, everyone knows my love and respect for the Knicks, mainly by way of Carmelo Anthony. Heres a player who has gone to the playoffs every single year of his career, who in my opinion has one of five nicest jumpers in the league, and who always conducts himself like a team player, no matter the circumstance. However, with the Heat having the season everyone expected from them when "Run LDC" first got together, Melo will more than likely find himself once again without a ring. I'm giving it to the Heat in 4.

 I'm not a Pacers' fan, by any means. And the Magic haven't impressed me in a minute. So to me, this is probably the dullest matchup in the East and West. But because of experience (and maybe just a little bias due to Stan Van Gundy), I'll say Magic in 6.

And last but not least, we have the Celtics and the Hawks. Two years ago, this paragraph would have been me cussing out the Celtics as a team, calling them dirty, talentless and evil. But at this point, my grudge has passed. And instead, I simply feel sorry for them. With an aging "big three", the men in green just aren't what they used to be. And in my opinion, the fate of the team rests within Rajon Rondo, the one Celtic swirling with trade rumors. As for the Hawks, aka the hoodest team in the league, I must admit the only time I've seen them play this season, is when they faced my Bulls. I'm completely without any clue as to what will happen with these two but to keep up appearances, lets say the Celtics in 7.

...

The Spurs and the Jazz...yikes. I may have spoken too soon. This may actually be the dullest matchup. I get that the Spurs are good. And that Popovich is an excellent coach. And yet, year after year I complain about how uninteresting their simplistic basketball is. Then you have the Jazz, which I stopped following the minute we grabbed a majority of their team (Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, you know...) Regardless lets say Spurs in 5.

Oh the Mavs...how the mighty have fallen. While I didn't expect the reigning champions to repeat, I certainly didn't see such a season in their future either. From losing key players like Tyson Chandler, to the Lamar Odom fiasco, the Mavs were riddled with drama this year. And I expect their playoff run to be just as unpredictable. They clearly have the talent, and desire, but taking on Kevin Durant and the rest of the Thunder is no easy task. In the regular season, the Thunder took 3 of 4 wins, and the pressure is only rising. Final results? Lets say Thunder in 7.

This is sure to be a show. My heart goes out to the Denver Nuggets. First they dealt with Coach Karl's illness. Then of course there was Melo's departure. But even so, they've made it. Sixth seed isn't half bad, given the circumstances. And while with the hectic schedule, I didn't have a chance to really follow them, I don't see them giving up just yet. The Lakers will always be looked at as tough competition. And they should be. But I don't think anyone can deny they're on their way out. Kobe can only play through multiple injuries for so long. Lamar Odom is gone. And though Metta World Peace has certainly improved skill-wise, that temper of his still gets the best of him. On the plus side, Andrew Bynum has been solid. And I'm impressed with Ramon Sessions. I'm going with the Lakers in 5.

Lob-city? I guess? More like a team with a whole lot of potential that still needs more time to adjust, despite the great almighty Blake Griffin (sense my sarcasm?) and Chris Paul. Chauncey Billups' injury was a downer. And people are still doubting Vinny Del Negro. But honestly, I still see them getting past the Grizzlies. I know last season they shocked the nation by going as far as they did...Zach Randolph was one of a kind, and their key player Rudy Gay wasn't even competing. But can one repeat a wild-card comeback like that? Meh. Clippers in 6.

And there you have it. My sometimes-less-than educated guesses. I can't pretend I got into this season. I can't say I've followed every team equally. But its the playoffs...may as well get into it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment