Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The 2013-2014 NBA Season Starts Tonight

Today is October 29th, and it is officially that time again: tonight is the start of the 2013-2014 NBA season.

While there are three games taking place...Orlando Magic/Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls/Miami Heat and Los Angeles Clippers/Los Angeles Lakers, it should be obvious where my full attention will be. But perhaps what is not so clear is where my allegiance will lie.

Honestly, at this point, I myself have no idea. It is no secret that I have unconditional love for Lebron James (and therefore will follow him wherever he may go) but I am a Chicagoan through and through, and I cannot simply ignore that for one man! So for now, I will just go on record and say I am merely looking forward to a great game.

The Heat are coming off of their second championship run with the King himself, and obviously still have a ways to go before earning as many as will satisfy them-if such a thing exists. However, it goes without saying that the hype has yet to die down, going into this year.

"Our goal here is not to get bored." said Wade. "Don't get bored with trying to be great. We have to understand that we're champions and we're going to get every other team's best shot." 

But this does not mean that the Bulls have no fire lit underneath them as well. In fact, being the ones who have way more to prove might actually work in their favor.

Tonight marks the first regular season game that Derrick Rose will be playing in since having reconstructive knee surgery, last May. The Bulls went an impressive 8-0 during their preseason run, during which Rose seemed to be back in action, despite complaining about some routine soreness. 

Derrick, in a recent interview, claimed that his basketball IQ has only increased during his absence, and I do not doubt that. Anyone who is familiar with the kid-wonder knows that time off the court for him, is not time wasted. However, a knee injury is a knee injury, and there will be bumps in the road.

Right now I realize I am jumping the gun in acting as though these two teams will be going head to head in the Conference Finals; but if the Heat continue to be top dog, and the Bulls get their footing back...it could happen

Here's to a new season! 


No comments:

Post a Comment